There are a range of cover types that anyone in the landscaping industry should consider.

Your needs will vary depending on whether you’re a business owner, subcontractor or employee, but in any case you will have risks that need to be protected against.

Instant Quote

The ‘big three’ types of trade insurance for landscapers are as follows:

Public Liability Insurance Income Protection Insurance Tool Insurance
Covers you if your work results in damage to someone's property, or causes an injury or death. Pays you an income if you are unable to work due to injury of illness. Covers the value of your tools if they are stolen or damaged due to fire or storm.

If you have a family to look after you may also want to consider additional forms of personal insurance such as TPD (total and permanent disability), trauma and life insurance.

If you have machinery such as a skid steer loader or other earthmoving equipment you may also need to consider mobile plant and equipment insurance.

We’ll now take a look at the main forms of landscapers insurance in more detail.

Public Liability

The most popular form of insurance for anyone in the landscaping business is public liability.


This form of insurance will cover you if your business activities result in property damage or personal injury, and you are found to be responsible due to negligence.

A common claim for landscapers involves damage to underground utilities. Most public liability policies will cover this, but you will need to have followed the dial-before-you-dig procedures in order for a claim to be considered.

For more information about underground works, or any general enquiries regarding public liability insurance please contact us.

Income Protection

Whilst public liability is only relevant for business owners and subbies, income protection is important for all landscaping workers.

This form of cover can protect up to 75% of your usual income for a period of time if you cannot work for a period of time due to an injury or illness.

You can read more about the cover on our dedicated income protection page.

Tool Insurance

The last of the big three forms of insurance for landscapers is tool insurance.

Tool insurance can protect your tools and equipment from a range of risks including theft, fire damage and damage caused in a vehicle collision.

When it comes to theft each policy will have a slightly different level of cover. Some policies only cover theft following forced entry, whilst some policies won’t cover theft at all.

If you have larger equipment such as a skid steer loader or digger you may need to look at a mobile plant insurance policy rather than a basic tool insurance policy.

Quotes & More Info

For more information on any of the types of landscaper insurance listed above, or any other question about trade insurance in general, please contact us using our online contact form.

If you are ready to get quotes on your cover please visit our online quote request form by clicking on the green box below.


Click here to compare premiums and save